Victim Witness Advocates

Assistance and Advocacy for Crime Victims


What do VWA's do?

List of VWAs in Maine

Criminal Justice Information

Juvenile Justice Information

Domestic Violence

Child Physical / Sexual Abuse

Sexual Assault


Identity Theft & Fraud

Victim's Rights

Victim Compensation and Restitution Information

Witness Guidelines


US Attorney Victim Witness Program

Maine Department of Corrections

Maine Victim's Compensation Program

Maine Sex Offender Registry

Multicultural Resource Guide: a listing of specialty service providers for Maine's racial, ethnic and language minority communities features  links to Maine domestic violence resources


Victim Compensation and

Victim Witness Advocates help crime victims obtain reimbursement for the financial losses they suffer as a result of the crimes committed against them.

Victims’ Compensation

    The Victims’ Compensation Program, located in the Office of the Attorney General, provides financial reimbursement for losses suffered by victims of violent crime and their families. The assistance of Victim Witness Advocates is essential to the success of this Program. Victim Witness Advocates explain to victims what benefits are available under the Program, and they assist crime victims to complete the application and to submit documentation necessary to request reimbursement for their crime-related losses. Victim Witness Advocates also provide Victims’ Compensation staff with court and status information on the pending criminal case. A Victims’ Compensation claim is separate from the criminal prosecution and can be filed and decided prior to a decision in the related criminal case. For more information about the Victims’ Compensation Program:



    Another form of financial reimbursement available to crime victims is restitution. Unlike Victims’ Compensation, which is available only to victims of violent crime, restitution may be available to victims of property crimes as well. An order of restitution is part of the criminal case and is made upon conviction of a defendant. A crime victim who has suffered financial losses, for such things as medical bills or damaged property, would provide the Victim Witness Advocate with copies of bills or estimates to prove the financial value of the loss. The Victim Witness Advocate would inform the District Attorney of the victim’s request for restitution so that this request could be made part of the judge’s order if the defendant were convicted. Restitution is collected by an Advocate or other staff in the Office of the District Attorney, or it is collected by a probation officer or staff of Victim Services in the Department of Corrections. For more information on restitution, link to the website of the Department of Corrections, Office of Victim Services:


Last Modified: June 13, 2007